Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Maira Kalman, The Principles of Uncertainty

This is the collection of Maira Kalman's columns by the same name from the New York Times -- running for a year (since ceased) -- gathered up in a single volume.

It's an interesting little collection of art and... well, art. And narration (not so much captioning)? Which is... well, poetry? Memoir? Art?

Not sure which.

Kalman, who also illustrated Strunk & White's Elements of Style, has a video on her website called the elements of style movie (you'll need quicktime to play it), which goes a long way to showing you what The Principles of Uncertainty is all about -- which is a little of everything ("How can I tell you everything that is in my heart. Impossible to begin. Enough. No. Begin.") and nothing ("How can I tell you everything that is in my heart. Impossible to begin. Enough. No. Begin.").

See what I did there? Didn't say shit about what the book is all about.

I liked it.

But it's Christmas, my son wants to race cars, and we should probably take a walk before it gets dark.

No comments: